Monday, January 2, 2012

Pic of the Day


Hooded Merganser after surfacing
Hooded Merganser swallowing Apple Snail
    Hooded Merganser – Viera Wetlands; Viera, Florida:  I was driving along the dike roads in the Viera Wetlands today and saw numerous pairs of hooded mergansers swimming on the impoundments.  As I was photographing this particular bird it dove underwater and came-up with an apple snail.  I shot a few images and captured the top shot as the bird out ran its companions that tried to steal the snail, and the second shot just as the snail went down the gullet.  
     I’m exhausted from driving all night, so I’ll post more images later.

Top Photo:  Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f 4,  1/320 @ f 9, Aperture Priority
Bottom Photo:  Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f 4,  1/400 @ f 9, Aperture Priority 

No comments:

Post a Comment