Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pic of the Day

Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Pheucticus ludovicianus:  
Hartwick Pines State Park: Grayling, Michigan
     A few days ago Rose-breasted Grosbeaks began pouring through north Alabama.  It takes about two weeks for the birds to pass through during the spring (when this photo was taken), and about two weeks during the fall.  Though the birds are in fall plumage, they are still just as beautiful.  Hopefully I will be able to get some photos before they move on to Central and northern, South America.

     By the way, in a previous post I mentioned that I have never had a Hummingbird Bird at my feeders after October 6th.  This year, the plethora of hummers I had left by October 5th.  However, I had half a dozen birds through the 7th.   Not seeing any hummers on the 8th and 9th, I was sure they were all gone.  But, on the 10th and 11th I saw a few hummers coming to my feeders.  These were obviously late migrants, and stopped at the feeders to refuel before moving on.



Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4, !/60th sec. @ f4

No comments:

Post a Comment