Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pic of the Day

 Northern Cardinal, Cardinalis cardinals (male): Horsecove, Alabama

Northern Cardinal, Cardinalis cardinals (immature): Horsecove, Alabama
    This afternoon I spent a few hours in the blind photographing feeder birds.  I have a ton of cardinals at my feeders and these two were so close that I took headshots.  Most resident birds here in North Alabama have already raised their first brood and most have started their second.  Immature Cardinals out number the adults by more than
 2 to 1. 
     The top bird is an adult male and the bottom is an immature.  Note the gray eyes and horn colored beak on the immature.  By the end of the summer the immature bird’s beak will be quite orange, like the adult.  What I find most interesting is the immature bird’s full crest.  It seems to be fuller and larger than the adult male.

Top:  Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/60 second @ f/10
Bottom: Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/80 second @ f/9

2 comments:

  1. ...sweet close-ups. I especially like the detail in the female's crest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelly. She was my favorite also.

    ReplyDelete