Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Pic of the Day

Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris: Horse Cove near Gurley, Alabama
     The hummingbird migration has been amazing here in North Alabama over the last month.  Around the third week of August I was seeing a couple of dozen birds at a time, but by mid September I was seeing a hundred or more at a time.  It was just unbelievable!  I was going through five pounds a sugar every three days at the peak.  Now they have slowed down and I am only seeing a few dozen at a time.  The latest date I have had hummers is October 8th. will be interesting to see what the latest date will be this year.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/60 second @ f/6.3

2 comments:

  1. ...we just had another come through today, Oct 6. He's headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had hundreds a day a few weeks ago, but only see a few per day now. Should all be gone by the 12th.

    ReplyDelete