Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pic of the Day

Red-bellied Woodpecker, Melanerpes carolinus:
Horse Cove; near Gurley, Alabama
     Reminiscing about spring on this warmer winter day and watching Red-bellied Woodpeckers at my suet feeder, I thought I would post a photo from last April.  This handsome fellow, in full breeding plumage, was shot at the suet feeder in my backyard.  I use a special suet, called “Bark Butter.”  Bark Butter is produced by, and sold at Wild Birds Unlimited stores.  It is like a magnet for birds, especially drawing woodpeckers and nuthatches. They love the stuff!  Every morning when I add the Bark Butter to the feeder the woodpeckers around the house begin to call.  Before I finish spreading the suet the woodpeckers are clinging onto nearby trees waiting for me to finish.  No sooner do I turn to walk away the woodpeckers begin swooping to the feeding tree.  On day that I am home I fill the suet tree 2 to 3 times a day.   These birds always provide me with hours of shooting.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/100 second @ f/8

No comments:

Post a Comment